Posted by Abel Avram on Feb 20, 2009 07:16 AM
In this presentation filmed during QCon SF 2008, John Musser talked about Open APIs, their history, their current status and trends. He also talked about what makes an Open API successful, the business models behind them and some related technological details.
Watch: Open APIs: State of the Market (57 min.)
John organized his session on the following outline:
- The big picture – a presentation of what Open APIs are and who are the major players
- The business of APIs – what makes a good Open API and what business models are used out there
- Design and technology – web services accessed via REST (63%), SOAP (22%), others.
- Issues – business and technical dependencies, lack of SLAs, copyright issues, authentication and authorization, privacy, etc.
- Trends – moving toward standardization, lightweight services
Read full article